RSS
Hello! Welcome to AM Movie Mania! We are movie lovers who are happy to provide you with movie reviews! Got a request? Email us at ammoviemania@hotmail.com. x}

The Myth TV Series (2010)



Okay, I know this blog's name is AM Movie Mania, but I suppose it's okay to review a TV series once in a while...

This is a Chinese TV series. The entire series is spoken in Mandarin, so prepare for a bafflement if the subtitle suddenly went poof (.. like mine did a couple of times) but if you can speak or read Mandarin fluently then it's no problem. Hahaha.

First thing first: THIS REVIEW CONTAIN SPOILER. And not just any spoiler, the ENDING's spoiler. So. If you want to watch it yourself and not know the ending now... stop reading this review. Right here is the line.

Another warning (yes, even this warning contains spoiler): if you hate sad-but-beautiful-heart-crunching-tear-jerking type of ending, don't watch this TV series. It contains 50 *damn* episodes. Each beautiful except the ending.

WHY WHY WHY WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY -

Ehm.

As usual, some info:

Director: Jeffrey Chiang, Yuen Bun (action director), Stanley Tong (creative director)
Writer: Li Haishu
Genre: Science fiction | Romance | Historical drama | Fantasy
Casts: Hu Ge (Yi Xiao Chuan / Meng Yi), Bai Bing (Princess Yu Shu), Chang Shih (Gao Yao / Zhao Gao), Alina Zhang (Gao Lan / Xiao Yue), Ren Quan (Yi Da Chuan), Xu Di (Yi Mama), Xu Min (Yi Suo Chang), Tan Kai (Xiang Yu), Li Yi Xiang (Liu Bang), Chen Zi Han (Lu Zhi), Jin Sha (Lu Su), Allen Ting (Meng Tian), Yang Shu Tian (Chui Wen Zi), etc.
Country of origin: China
Language(s): Mandarin
No. of episodes: 50
Summary:
Yi Xiao Chuan finds a tiger pendant by coincidence and the pendant sears a mark onto his chest when he wears it on his neck. Meanwhile, Xiao Chuan's older brother, Yi Da Chuan, discovers a 2000-year-old treasure box at an excavation site. Xiao Chuan unlocks the box using his pendant and opens a time portal by accident. Unknown to everyone else, he is transported back in time to the Qin Dynasty period together with Gao Yao, his girlfriend's brother.

Back in history, Xiao Chuan meets the historical figures Xiang Yu and Liu Bang, and becomes sworn brothers with them. He encounters the Qin general Meng Tian, who mistakes him for his long-lost younger brother Meng Yi, because the mark of the pendant belongs only to members of the Meng clan. Xiao Chuan also meets Princess Yu Shu of Tu'an, who becomes the new love of his life. However, the lovers are unable to be together, as Yu Shu has become the Qin emperor's concubine in exchange for peace between the Qin empire and Tu'an. Xiao Chuan is unwilling to give up and he meets Yu Shu in secret inside the palace.

On the other hand, Gao Yao is separated from Xiao Chuan and sent to the palace, where he is forcefully castrated and becomes a eunuch. After enduring humiliation and bullying, he wins the favour of the emperor through his excellent culinary skills and becomes a high-ranking official. He is renamed to "Zhao Gao" and starts abusing his authority by seeking vengeance on those he perceived to be responsible for his plight. Zhao Gao is gradually corrupted by power and turns against his old buddy, Xiao Chuan, whom he sees as a threat to his plans for dominating the Qin empire.

In the present-day, Da Chuan, Gao Lan (Xiao Chuan's girlfriend), and Da Chuan's parents, work closely together to open the treasure box. Following clues from the box's engravings and a map, they need to embark on a treasure hunt to find the five secret keys to unlock the box. However, a mysterious masked man in black is also after the box's contents and he sends his lackeys to harass them.


This TV series is based on a 2005 movie by the same title. Click here for more info. After reading the synopsis of this movie, I want to watch it. And compared to the TV series, I think it's less heart-crunching because Meng Yi and Jack are two different persons (reincarnation), while in the TV series, Meng Yi and Yi Xiao Chuan are the very same person who waits 2000 years to find his love.

Lists!

Things I love in this TV series:
1. It's a historical drama. I've always loved Chinese historical drama. The Kung Fu, old times of China, emperor thing-y... I love them!
2. Lovely cast of characters. Hu Ge is really into his character (Yi Xiao Chuan). As the main protagonist of the series, the audience must endure his face and acting for approximately 40 hours. He did a wonderful job. From Yi Xiao Chuan who can only play to Yi Xiao Chuan-slash-Meng Yi who knows love and mature. He totally deserves a huge round of applause. 
3. Beautiful setting. Needless to say, most of the scenes are in Qin Dynasty of China, where everything is still ancient... I really, really, really like it! The music, dances, places - everything. Ooo, hopefully none of the horses got hurt during the shooting of the scene!
4. Wonderful lesson to be learned. If House TV series is about truth, then this TV series is about patience. Xiao Chuan has to wait effing 2000 years to meet his love, if he's not patient then I don't know what he is.

One thing I hate in this TV series:
The ENDING. It's not an effing happy ending and I wasted my tears and 40-ish hours of my life watching something that's just so.. so... uuuuggh! I mean, if a movie has a sad ending it's okay because I only traded two hours for a sigh of disappointment. But 40-ish hours?! *sob*

I cried my eyes out (not literally) during the scene where Xiang Yu and Xiao Yue fight for their lives. I don't know why, I think it's the most tear jerking scene for me because Xiang Yu's character really appeals to me. His way to love Xiao Yue is just too sweet. Meng Tian character also appeals to me, mainly because Allen Ting is so handsome. The moustache, beard, and hairdo totally suit him! Hahaha.

Anyway... if you like historical drama or just have nothing to do, you should definitely watch this TV series. It's really, really beautiful... in a heart-crunching way. However, the 50 episodes thing needs a little commitment. 

Unfortunately, I don't find any trailer for this TV series. My rating for this TV series is 8 out of 10 stars. Not 10 out of 10 because of the ending. *sob*

Toodle-o,
Maria

1 comments:

EmKitty21 said...

I know the feeling. At first, I only enjoyed the novelty of seeing a modern-day Hu Ge cope with time traveling to a historical period, but the drama REALLY grew on me. I started connecting Meng Yi/Xiao Chuan to Mei Changsu and that undid me. I was practically squealing for the last two episodes. I was all ready to give it a 9.5 stars rating and then...that ENDING. I can't fathom why they made him live 2000 years waiting and then rip them apart again. What I really dislike is even after they lose they're immortality and can't be together, Xiao Chuan copes by avoiding everyone and aging to death without anyone knowing. That scene where he picks up the poster and speaks to it, while Da Chuan and Gao Lan walk right past him killed me. I mean his voice hadn't changed that much. He's just going to suffer alone. I wish I could write an alternate ending or something where Xiao Chuan finally comes clean and works through all his issues and pain. I mean after disappearing like he did and becoming all cryptic, the least he can do is let his family share some of his burdens. What do you think?

-KittyAnn

 
Copyright 2009 AM Movie Mania. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy