RSS
Hello! Welcome to AM Movie Mania! We are movie lovers who are happy to provide you with movie reviews! Got a request? Email us at ammoviemania@hotmail.com. x}

Burlesque


Pic source: click here.

I watched this movie this afternoon with my little sister (and I think I'm going to watch it again tomorrow with my friends) and today is actually the opening day for Indonesia. I thought the seats in Blitzmegaplex were going to be filled, but the cinema was in fact, almost empty. Too bad, because IT. WAS. AWESOME.

I just love musicals. This is what this movie is all about. Music and dancing. And I loooveeee Christina Aguilera's voice - I'm actually a fan. She's so petite (she's my height!! *beams*) and yet she has such a big voice. Her acting is also delightful.

This movie also introduces Cher to me. Being born in the 1990s, I don't know much about Cher. She's absolutely famous for the generation before me, I think. Don't get me wrong - I do know about Cher and I do hear that she's a diva. I just never bothered to look up her song and listen to it. And now I have heard her singing. And I'm in love.

Before I start gushing out more compliments (and opinions, of course), here are some info. Taken from imdb, as usual:

Director: Steve Antin
Writer: Steve Antin
Genre: Drama | Musical | Romance
Casts: Cher (Tess), Christina Aguilera (Ali), Kristen Bell (Nikki), Cam Gigandet (Jack), Eric Dane (Marcus), Peter Gallagher (Vince), Stanley Tucci (Sean), and others. Click here for the complete set of casts.
Summary:
The Burlesque Lounge has its best days behind it. Tess, a retired dancer and owner of the venue, struggles to keep the aging theater alive, facing all kinds of financial and artistic challenges. With the Lounge's troupe members becoming increasingly distracted by personal problems and a threat coming from a wealthy businessman's quest to buy the spot from Tess, the good fortune seems to have abandoned the club altogether. Meanwhile, the life of Ali, a small-town girl from Iowa, is about to change dramatically. Hired by Tess as a waitress at the Lounge, Ali escapes a hollow past and quickly falls in love with the art of burlesque. Backed by newfound friends amongst the theater's crew, she manages to fulfill her dreams of being on stage herself. Things take a dramatic turn though when Ali's big voice makes her become the main attraction of the revue. (from imdb)

It takes a LEGEND... to make a STAR.

Jack (Cam Gigandet). Pic source: click here.
I honestly think this movie totally lacks in the plot department. However, whatever it lacks, it makes up by delivering awesome choreography and phenomenal song performances.

Why you should watch this movie:
The MUSICALS. This is one and the only reason I watch Burlesque. I don't expect the singers to act awesomely but if they do it's a bonus. Don't judge this movie based on the plot or the acting either because the main attraction, once again, is the musicals. The song 'You Haven't Seen The Last of Me', performed by Cher, won Best Original Song in the Golden Globe Award a few days ago. The song 'Bound To You', sung by Christina was also nominated for the same category.

Why this movie might not be suitable for you:
If you don't like 119 minutes of musical awesomeness. Period.

To my surprise, even though the title is Burlesque, and the dance routines totally suggest sexual content, there was no excessive kissing scenes nor sex scene in the movie. It's been a while since a movie is like that. OR the Indonesia's censor department got rid of them, I don't know. Lol.

Anyway, I rate this movie 7.5 out of 10. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this and I couldn't take my eyes off the screen (I hate the fact that I had to go to the restroom in the middle of the movie so I missed like, 5 minutes of the movie). 

Toodle-o,
Maria

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 AM Movie Mania. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy